Looking for a job in Cincinnati? Finding the right job can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially when you’re focused on finding the perfect role. Sometimes career advancement doesn’t move in a straight line, and job seekers can benefit from considering temporary jobs in Cincinnati while they continue searching.
What Are Temporary Jobs?
Temporary jobs are jobs that last for a defined period. Sometimes, an employer may need to cover an unexpected vacancy, vacation, or leave of absence. In other cases, an employer may need to staff up for a busy season or take on additional workers to help with a special project.
Hiring for a specific skill set on short notice can be challenging, so many businesses work with a temporary employment agency to fill their short-term hiring needs. These agencies match employers with pre-screened job seekers with the skills and qualifications to meet their needs.
Working with a temporary staffing company in Cincinnati can have many benefits for job seekers, including:
- Find a job faster. Searching for open jobs, researching employers, and coordinating interviews can often feel like a full-time job. Recruiters for temp jobs work with many employers with multiple job openings. They have established contacts and can streamline the interview process to get your foot in the door faster.
- Learn about unadvertised opportunities. Feel like you’re always the last to know about great opportunities? Many top job opportunities never get posted. Temporary employment agencies work with leading companies and often have exclusive information about top job openings in Cincinnati.
- Partner with industry experts. Not sure where to start? Temporary job recruiters are familiar with jobs in your industry and will get to know your skills, experience, and interests. They understand what Cincinnati employers are looking for in top candidates—and what those employers have to offer you.
- Build your network. Accepting temporary jobs in your field can create valuable connections leading to full-time opportunities.
Are Temporary Jobs Bad For My Resume?
Temporary jobs are a great way to gain experience and develop new skills, but some job seekers worry that including them on their resume will make them look like they can’t commit. If you make it clear on your resume (or job application) that the short-term positions were temp jobs—not short stints with employers expecting you to stick around—they won’t hurt your chances for employment.
Another way to leverage your temporary work on your resume is to think strategically about each role you accept—and how it will help you advance your career, grow your skills, or improve your life. Be prepared to answer questions about your employment experiences, like why you chose each role and how you benefited from it.
Who Should Consider Temp Jobs In Cincinnati?
There is no profile for the “right” kind of person for temporary work. Temporary and contract jobs in Cincinnati can be advantageous for all types of people. A short-term job opportunity can become a bridge to full-time employment, help you discover new interests, or provide flexibility. Temp jobs can provide value for people at all stages of their lives, including:
- Students. Carrying a full course load and need a job that will fit your busy schedule? Looking to gain experience in your field while you are still learning—and get paid for it? Temporary jobs can be a great option for students looking to gain industry skills.
- Recent graduates. If you’re a recent high school or college graduate wondering how to launch your career, partnering with a temporary employment agency can help you gain skills, build experience, and create connections.
- People looking for a career change. Looking for a change of pace? Many workers use temporary assignments to discover if a new role is the right fit for them before making a permanent switch. Gaining experience in a new role or industry can also make you a more attractive candidate if you decide to make the change.
- Parents returning to the workforce. If you’ve been out of the workforce for a while, working with a temporary staffing company can help you gain confidence and familiarity within your previous field—or explore new options.
- People who need flexibility. Some workers choose temporary jobs because they need the flexibility to handle personal obligations or pursue passion projects. Others love to travel and want to have more free time. Pursuing temporary jobs allows you to choose where and when you work, providing more flexibility in your life.
- Career explorers. Looking for your ideal work environment? Since temporary jobs are short-term, you can try different industries and work settings to find what’s right for you. Try on a corporate office setting for size. See if you thrive in customer service or manufacturing. Recruiters for temp jobs can help you discover great opportunities that fit your skills and interest.
- People in need of motivation. Has your job search gone on for so long that you’re starting to lose hope? Sometimes getting back into the swing of a professional routine can help you maintain the drive you need to continue the search. Accepting a temporary position can also boost your confidence and motivation, putting you in the right frame of mind to continue putting your best foot forward.
Can I Turn a Temp Job Into a Full-Time Job?
Some temporary jobs offer the opportunity for permanent hire. If your goal is full-time hire, then accepting a temp-to-hire role can be a great strategy to prove your value to a potential employer. You can demonstrate your skills and the positive impact you could have on the organization by doing an exceptional job. In some cases, you may even get your foot in the door with an employer on your list of companies you’d love to work for full-time!
How To Stand Out On Temporary Assignment
If you accept a temporary position with a company in the hope of being offered a full-time role, consider these tips for turning a temp job into your permanent career:
Treat it like a permanent job. You may have been hired for a temporary position, but if you act like you’re only going to be with the company for a short time, that may end up being true. Instead, give every task your best effort and be sure to:
- Show enthusiasm and positivity
- Be on time—or early
- Become familiar with company policies, including dress code
Go the extra mile. If you complete your tasks and have extra time, ask your supervisor if you can assist a co-worker or learn a new skill. Showing passion for your work and asking for more responsibility may put your name first on the list if a full-time role becomes available.
Get to know the team. Getting to know your co-workers can help you form valuable relationships within the organization. Decision-makers often evaluate how well employees work within the team before making a hiring offer.
Show interest. If you feel your temporary role would be a great permanent fit for you, let your recruiter know. They will be able to advocate for you with your employer, especially if you’ve done an exceptional job for the company.
How Can I Find Temp Jobs in Cincinnati?
If you’re looking for temporary and contract jobs in Cincinnati, here’s how to get started:
- Polish your resume. Creating or updating your resume is the first step in finding temporary jobs in Cincinnati. List relevant skills and experience and give potential employers a snapshot of the value you would bring to their organization.
- Research companies in your field. Visit the websites and social media profiles of companies in your industry to see if they list openings for temporary positions.
- Search job boards. Job boards often list available temporary jobs. Many of these websites use filters, making it easy to narrow down your search based on keywords. Enter words or phrases relevant to your industry to find options that match your job criteria.
- Work with a staffing agency. One of the easiest ways to find temporary jobs in Cincinnati is by partnering with a staffing agency. Recruiters for temp jobs will take the time to understand your skills, experience, and goals before matching you with top employers looking for hardworking job seekers like you.
Ready To Find A Temporary Job in Cincinnati?
Precision Staffing Services can help you find great temporary jobs in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Your career goals are our priority, and we want to help you create a bright future. Our expert recruiters will work one-on-one with you to determine what makes a job worth doing to you. Visit our job board to search available positions, upload your resume, and enroll for job alerts. Have questions about how we can streamline your search? Contact Precision Staffing today. We’re always happy to hear from you!