You have been job hunting for months now and you finally got invited in for an interview! Through all of you excitement, you realize that you now need to pick out the perfect outfit for the interview. How do you even start to figure out what to wear? We have you covered with a few tips and tricks that will help to kick start your interview before you have even stepped foot in the door.
- Do extensive research on the company. This kind of research will help you to better understand the work culture. There are some work environments where you must dress in work boots and a hard hat in order to work on a new building. There are other positions where you must be dressed in professional attire, suit and tie. Understanding the environment will help you to fit in right when you walk in the door.
- Ask any acquaintances, previous employees or friends that work there. There might not be a better way to figure out what to wear. If you are able to contact a previous or current employee, they will have a very good idea as to what to wear in order to fit in, since they have already lived it.
- Call and ask to speak to the receptionist. If you are unable to find out the work environment, another way to do research is to call the front desk and speak with the receptionist. This person talks with everyone in the office and most likely has a better understanding of the environment than anyone else in the office. It doesn’t hurt to use your resources!
Now that you have a better idea as to how you should dress to impress, it’s time to go shopping! There are just a few rules you should follow when shopping for an interview and hopefully future job.
- Purchase your basic items first. If you are new to the professional environment, the first items you should look to buy are your basics. Basic clothing for women might include black dress pants, khaki dress pants, black and red dress shirts, basic navy business professional dress, nude heels or flats, black heels or flats and a black blazer. Basic clothing pieces for men might include a white button down shirt, black blazer, black dress pants and black oxford dress shoe.
- Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone. You may have to step out of your comfort zone and everyday jeans, but remember that is a good thing!
- Comfort is key. When you are shopping, keep in mind that although looking the part is half the battle, you do not have to be uncomfortable in doing so. There are so many different brands, sizes, etc. to fit all wants and needs so be sure to leave yourself enough time to shop around a bit.
- Be wary of too much jewelry or jewelry that is too big. Jewelry is a good thing and can be worn in an interview, but only in appropriate taste. Do not wear big jewelry or anything that might be distracting to the interviewer.
- Tailor and dry clean your outfit. In tailoring and taking your outfit to a dry cleaner, you will not only look better and more put together, but you will also feel better and more confident for the interview.
- Try on your outfit when you get home. It is important to try on the items you bought again to make sure that everything still looks okay in different lighting.
- Be sure to be well groomed the day of. This includes taking a shower, making sure that your hair looks neat and fingernails are clean, you have applied deodorant and your outfit is ironed and clean.,
And last but not least be sure to SMILE! After all, your smile is your best accessory.
Best Wishes for your next interview!